When your Viking range is world-renowned as one of the best range brands, it can make cleaning a little intimidating. What are the right cleaning methods? Are there recommended supplies or products? We’ll answer these questions with how to clean a Viking range, from the oven and burners to the griddle and exterior.
How to Clean a Viking Range: A Step-by-Step Guide
Though Viking range maintenance involves specific techniques and supplies, these methods shouldn’t be difficult and the recommended products are usually easy to find. Here’s how to clean a Viking range so each mechanism receives the proper care and you can enjoy the brand’s superior function.
How to Clean a Viking Oven
If you have a Viking oven with a self-cleaning function, we suggest referring to your use and care manual for specific instructions. Follow these guidelines for how to clean a Viking oven manually:
- Oven door: Apply Easy-Off Fume Free Max oven cleaner to the door with a damp sponge.
- Oven racks: Remove the racks and clean with hot, soapy water. Soft-Scrub cleanser can be used for stubborn stains
- Oven interior: Spray Easy-Off Fume Free Max throughout the empty oven’s interior. Allow to sit for 2 hours with the oven door closed before wiping clean with a damp sponge.
Cleaning Viking Range Burners
How to clean Viking range burners involves separate techniques for each of the burner’s components, as well as the grates:
- Viking stove grates and burner caps: These components can all be cleaned with hot, soapy water, a non-abrasive cleaning pad and/or Soft Scrub Cleanser. If stains persist, place the burner caps and grates outside on a layer of newspaper and spray with Easy-Off cleanser. Allow cleanser to sit for 1-2 hours before rinsing off inside. Make sure components are completely dry before reassembling to avoid rusting.
- Burner bases: Use hot, soapy water to remove stains on a daily basis. Soften encrusted stains with a towel soaked in hot water. Use a wooden nylon spatula to then gently lift up stains.
- Sealed Burner Bowls: Cleaning sealed gas burners and burner bowls can be done on a daily basis with hot, soapy water and a soft cloth. For persistent stains, use Soft Scrub cleanser with a non-abrasive pad, scrubbing gently to avoid scratching.
How to Season and Clean a Viking Griddle
How to clean a Viking range also includes proper maintenance of the steel griddle. Before using it for the first time, the griddle must be seasoned with the following methods:
- With a non-abrasive pad, gently scrub the griddle with a mixture of 1-quart warm water and ¼ cup white vinegar.
- Dry thoroughly and wash with soap and warm water.
- After drying, apply ½ to 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil to the griddle with a cloth or paper towel. Allow to sit for 1 hour before wiping down with a clean cloth.
It’s not necessary to wash your griddle after each use, as a small amount of oil keeps the griddle seasoned. Here’s how to clean a Viking griddle after heavier cooking:
- While it’s still warm, pour a small amount of room-temperature club soda directly on the griddle.
- Use a metal spatula to scrape food particles and oil down towards the grease trough. The trough can be removed and cleaned separately with warm, soapy water.
- Wipe the griddle’s surface with a paper towel and perform the above seasoning procedure.
Exterior Cleaning Tips
Viking range color options are numerous and vibrant. Here’s how to maintain your range’s stainless steel or colored exterior:
- Stainless steel surfaces: For daily cleaning, gently scrub with warm, soapy water and a soft cloth in the direction of the stainless steel grain. Dry completely and buff with a microfiber cloth. Use a stainless steel cleaner and Thor polish every 2 weeks to remove fingerprints and add shine.
- Control Panel: Wipe clean with a soft cloth and warm, soapy water. Avoid using abrasive or ammonia-based cleaners that could remove the panel’s graphics.
- Knobs: Scrub gently with warm, soapy water and a soft cloth. Also, refrain from using abrasive or ammonia-based cleaners.
Appliance Service Station is the Seattle area’s leading Viking range repair service. We can address any concern from how to clean a Viking range to assessing for a repair.