While two can be better than one, that may not be the case when it comes to a double oven. Do I need a double oven or is a single oven better? If you love to bake and entertain, a double oven’s additional space can be an advantage. We’ll detail the differences between a double oven vs single oven, offering pros and cons to determine the best choice for your kitchen.
Is More Better or Just More? Comparing a Double Oven vs Single Oven
Though additional oven space can come in handy, you pay a premium for the extra cooking real estate. Is it worth the cost? We’ll offer some points to consider when deciding between a double oven vs single oven as well as some brand recommendations. But, first, it’s helpful to understand what a double oven is, as well as the available options.
What Are Double Ovens?
A double oven vs single oven provides more cooking capacity with two cooking spaces in one unit. There are two double oven configurations, a double oven range and a double wall oven.
Here’s how a double oven range and double wall oven compare:
Double oven range:
- Consists of a smaller top oven with a larger oven below and a traditional cooking range on top.
- Fits inside a typical range space.
- Both ovens can operate independently and simultaneously. The smaller top oven fits one baking sheet or a small chicken or roast. The bottom oven provides less space than a traditional single oven but can accommodate a roast or turkey and multiple baking sheets.
Double wall oven:
- Comprises two full-size ovens stacked vertically or side-by-side.
- Requires customized wall space.
- Provides more space than a double oven range, offering two standard oven sizes in one unit. This enables you to cook different dishes at different temperatures simultaneously, regardless of their size.
Pros and Cons of Double Ovens vs Single Ovens
When deciding between a double or single oven there are advantages and disadvantages to both designs.
Here are some of the pros and cons of double oven vs single oven configurations:
Double Oven Pros:
- More cooking space: Both double oven ranges and double wall ovens provide more cooking square footage than a single oven.
- Cook multiple dishes simultaneously: Different dishes can cook together regardless of temperature or cook time.
- Less cooking time: Cooking different dishes together saves time when entertaining or meeting the demands of a large family.
- Can save energy: Using a double oven range’s small oven for everyday needs uses less energy than a large single oven.
- Adds value: Modern design and increased cooking capabilities of a double oven can add value to your home.
Double Oven Cons:
- Price: both double oven configurations cost more than a single oven, with a double wall oven being considerably more expensive.
- Less Large Space: While a double oven range offers more cooking space, the bottom oven isn’t as large as a single oven.
- Inconvenient location: The bottom oven in double oven ranges is lower to the ground than a single oven, requiring significant bending.
- No storage space: A double oven range does not have a single oven storage drawer for oversize pots and pans.
- Increased energy usage: When used simultaneously, double oven designs use more energy than a single oven.
How to Choose the Best Double Oven
If a double oven fits your cooking needs and preferences, how can you decide which models and brands are best?
These are some points to consider when purchasing a double oven:
Size: Make sure you have adequate wall space for a double wall oven. Consider the amount of oven space you actually need for your family size or entertaining preferences.
Reliability: More oven space can mean more opportunities for malfunctions. Keep reviews and warranty options in mind when making your oven purchase. While a Miele double wall oven comes with a higher price tag, it’s reliability is well-documented.
Features: Double ovens can offer a variety of modern and convenient features:
- Samsung double oven ranges offer the precision of a gas cooktop with the speed and even cooking of an electric oven.
- LG double oven ranges provide convection cooking capabilities on the bottom oven and touchscreen controls.
- GE Profile double wall ovens provide air frying capabilities and Wi-Fi control via your smartphone.
Whether you’re considering a double oven vs single oven or weighing convection oven pros and cons, Appliance Service Station can help. We can answer any question and provide quality oven repair service.
I have to replace my black profile 30” wall oven as it broke and the technician said the parts to fix it are no longer made or available. I have a microwave above it which works fine. What is the difference between a double wall vs a single wall oven? I am not a gourmet cook but I want to replace my oven with equal quality as before.
Thank you for any insights you can give me.