While Bosch dishwashers are known for their superior cleaning performance and reliability, they’re still prone to making the occasional strange sound. Why is my Bosch dishwasher making noise? While a quiet buzzing is normal, loud buzzing sounds could indicate a drain pump blockage. Decipher Bosch dishwasher noises with this guide to common sounds and their meaning.
Troubleshooting a Bosch Dishwasher Making Noise
While some dishwasher sounds may indicate a problem, others are part of a typical operation. We’ll troubleshoot the most common sounds to determine if your Bosch dishwasher making noise needs an intervention or is operating normally.
Bosch Dishwasher Makes a Beeping Noise
All Bosch dishwashers make a beeping noise when the wash cycle ends as part of their normal operating sounds. If you feel that your Bosch dishwasher is loud when making these sounds, you can lower their volume or disable the beeping entirely. Refer to your user manual to determine how to adjust or disable the beeping on your model dishwasher.
Dishwasher is Buzzing
A Bosch dishwasher making noise when draining typically sounds like a quiet buzzing. The drain pump makes this noise as it expels water down the drain. However, buzzing sounds that suddenly become louder could indicate a drain pump blockage. Loud buzzing could also mean that one of the drain pump impellers is damaged.
Here’s how to inspect the dishwasher drain pump for blockages or damage:
- Remove the bottom rack and dishwasher filter.
- Absorb any residual water with a sponge or towels.
- Remove the pump cover according to the instructions in your user manual. Some can be pulled up while others must be unscrewed with a screwdriver.
- Check for foreign objects and food particles, carefully removing any visible debris.
- Inspect the pump impellers for damage and turn them by hand to ensure they can move freely.
- Replace the pump cover, filter and bottom rack.
If the pump impellers are damaged or don’t turn easily by hand, it may require replacement by a professional dishwasher repair service.
Bosch Dishwasher Makes a Grinding Sound
Is your Bosch dishwasher making noise that sounds like grinding? These sounds could also indicate a drain pump blockage. These blockages are usually caused by hard food particles or a shard of broken glass or ceramic that the impellers can’t break down. When this happens you may also notice your Bosch dishwasher not draining properly and leaving residual water behind.
To prevent impeller damage, assess the drain pump with the above steps as soon as possible, removing any blockages. If the impellers are damaged, the pump may require professional replacement.
What Causes a Bosch Dishwasher to be Loud During a Wash Cycle?
A Bosch dishwasher making noise when filling and washing is normal. Filling noises should be even and smooth while washing noise should sound like a gentle swishing. A Bosch dishwasher making noise when water circulates that sounds like knocking or rattling, however, it could require a few adjustments.
When a Bosch dishwasher cycle is loud, check for the following issues:
- Spray arm is hitting a loaded item: If the dishwasher isn’t loaded properly, the spray arm’s rotation may be blocked, resulting in knocking sounds. Bosch recommends loading serving utensils flat on the top rack and hand-washing larger serveware so the spray arms can rotate freely. Avoid overloading the top rack so items don’t hang down, obstructing the arm’s rotation.
- Dishwasher isn’t fully loaded: A light load may cause water to strike the washing tank directly, resulting in louder washing sounds. To minimize noise, only run a wash cycle when the dishwasher is reasonably full.
- Items are moving around: Lighter items like plastic containers and baby bottles can move during a wash cycle, resulting in rattling sounds. Secure these items when loading or ensure that they’re tightly surrounded by others to minimize movement and noise.
Is your Bosch dishwasher making noise even after these tips? The technicians at Appliance Service Station can help. Schedule your Bosch dishwasher repair today!